Friday, August 27, 2010

Searching for a kind of Sub-Urban life.



Not sure why… today I’ve had house on the brain. Am I getting comfortable here? Am I looking to settle down? Why is a piece of yard for Wicket suddenly a priority?

I just watched the most excellent presentation on investing in Edmonton’s downtown. I agree with everything that was said. I love that I don’t have to commute to work. I love that I live in a multicultural community. I love that I’m close to good restaurants. I love that I’m close to good bars. Pubs. Parks. Schools. Nightlife. Daylife.

But Wednesday night I got caught up late at work and had to ride my bike home at 9pm. Its not a long ride. Maybe 10 minutes at the most. But on my way I counted 6 prostitutes walking the streets. I saw drug deals, pimps, johns, baby carriages, dogs, stray cats… all living in harmony in the same community. My community. I miss the perception of safety. I don’t like living in the St. Albert bubble.. and by God I don’t think I want my hypothetical children living there their whole lives. But you know, I started thinking: “St. Albert might not be so bad, when I want to have kids.”

Now its weird I know. This coming from a long-term anti-St. Albert advocate, and my good friends of yester-year would be shocked that I would say something like this… But I don’t want to live where I live forever. I don’t want my hypothetical children to have to dodge pimps and ho’s if they want to take the bus back from the movies. I don’t want my hypothetical children to have to pick up the needles in the boulevard. I don’t want my hypothetical children to have to see this shit… but I don’t want them to grow up in a rich kids urban paradise where they have to worry about having the next coach purse.. or whatever either.

I don’t know the right answer.

But I look at my soccer league. I hate that one week I have to drive to Millwoods, and the next week Terwilligar, and the next week Castledowns and the next week Capilano… and so forth. Its so far away.

I loved that growing up in St. Albert I could bike anywhere…and I mean it anywhere in that whole community for a soccer game or whatever. I don’t know. Its hard. I believe in all of these urban planning principles… but then I look at last night, it was my 4th friggin trip into St. Albert this week…. I mean common people…

It’s not like any of them come to me.
Besides you Vin… but really that’s only cuz I won’t sleep over at your place…
with the ‘cool older couple’ you live with.

I don’t know….
I really don’t know the answer.


When I was growing up in St. Albert I hated everybody… They were all rich snotty little bitches. But… now that I’ve back here, growing up. I look at the friends of mine I still have in this community and think by god I’d love it if my hypothetical children grew up with their hypothetical children. And they weren't snotty bitches... so maybe I should give this town another shot.
Weird eh?

Weird to even be thinking about this in my opinion. Weirder still that I have a blog. Weirder still that I’m actually straight truthing this blog with my true feelings and sentimentalities. Not sure where all of this will lead. But I think its healthy to think about the future. Don’t worry… I’m not making plans.

No hopes or dreams here… no goals or ambitions. Just filling up my day. I mean really its all future Lesley’s problem… right?

The day that is over soon… and….

Tonight will be filled with some of this:






And some of this:


Hopefully some of this:





maybe some of this?





Probably more like this:





mmm.... still sounds like a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment