Friday, August 20, 2010

Another Makeup Free Day.

Fernie girls don’t wear makeup. If they do, it’s often left on from the night before and smeared across their face while their serving people, glassy eyed… or riding or biking their asses off. Fernie girls love to shop. They love to shop for new skis, boards, mittens, thermals, yoga pants, construction equipment, snowshoes, touring bindings, beacon…. They don’t worry too much about bar clothes. A hoodie and jeans will do just fine. They don’t wear high heels… why would they? You can’t walk home to Ridgewood, West Fernie, hell even downtown, from Blackout-Monday in heels, that’s just silly talk. Fernie girls don’t worry about bad hair days. That’s what toques are for. Fernie girls aren’t scared to splurge on the important things though. Girls night out for a fine meal and a dozen martini’s is a norm. Dancing like you just don’t care… also a norm. Playing Scrabble in a busy bar… also a norm. Working a goggle-tan…. also a norm.

So every time I wake up in the morning 5 minutes past when I should have left for work. I throw on some clothes, brush my teeth, run my dog around the block, and bike my guts out to get to work on time; omitting makeup and hair brushing, let alone styling, I have to force myself to stop and think back. Not wearing makeup is not unprofessional, my hair looks fine, my outfit is fine.

I have to force myself to look for guidance from my Fernie girls, what would they do? Would they wake up an hour before work to put on makeup and do their hair? Or would they grab onto those 5 extra minutes?

I think you all know the answer. City girls have it all wrong and Fernie girls know how it’s done.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes Fernie girls are washing their make up off in a lake the afternoon after a bachelorette party! You can tell a Fernie girl because when she wears high heels she keeps spare sandals in her purse. Fernie misses you, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love you
    I'm coming to Fernie... But apparently Derby isn't for everyone this year. This makes me sad. I will party with you soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I miss that place. In a parallel life I was definitely supposed to live there forever!

    ReplyDelete