Friday, November 19, 2010

You wear the pants, I wear the pants, WHO WEARS THE APRON?




What is food anyway? Is it vegetables? Meat? Chickens? Eggs? Cheese? Cheese spread? Wonder bread? Booster Juice? Starbucks? Tim Horton’s? Fructose? Sucrose? Modified corn syrup? Where does real food end and fake food begin?

I am currently reading In Defense of Food: an Eaters Manifesto by Michael Pollan, and he asks this very question: What is food? He argues that our personal heath cannot be divorced from the health of the food chains of which we are a part.

I am willing to open my eyes and look at what I put in my mouth.

I am willing to go into the supermarket in January and not expect vine ripened tomatoes.

I will no longer order the asparagus spears in October.

I will look at where my food comes from before I buy it, and I will let this fact sway my decisions.

I will try harder to eat real food.

I will try to cook. I will try to cook. I will try too cook.

If only I could get over my aversion to domesticity and take a turn in the apron of life. If only I could get over this hump, turn on the broiler and make the world a better place one meal at a time. Instead I eat chicken wings, drink beer, order pizza, drink coffee…..







Maybe less chicken now...

No comments:

Post a Comment