Thursday, November 11, 2010

Let them eat cake.

I've had a couple exceptional birthdays, but I’ve also had a few awful ones. It’s a real inconsistent day, a day I generally try to avoid. This is relationship number two in a row that has ended the week before my birthday. It must be the season, or it must be me in the season, or maybe it’s just me or maybe its just chance… Regardless of the cause I’m newly single for another birthday and I thought I would just want to avoid the whole thing.

Instead, I had some really amazing friends come out of the woodwork. I already talked about Shmel and C. and Spoon and Dan... well last night made for a beautiful evening of re-hashing our very early past and our present and future with a couple of friends I've had since elementary school. We drank wine, we shared stories, we broke bread. Its the way it should be and it was exactly how I wanted to spend the day. After dinner we went back for a movie night and some more quality time, me and Bean.

Get him to the Greek. Loved it!

When I originally wrote this post I was on a negative train of thought. Thinking about the worst birthdays I've had... and then I forced myself to look at some of the best.

One year a very caring boy – friend made me a chocolate cake with boiled vanilla icing and it was delicious. That was really nice.

One year a boyfriend made me breakfast and it was awesome, unfortunately he left me the dishes.

One year a boyfriend booked me into a day at the spa. He didn’t pay for it, just booked it and I was left with a 300$ tab, scrambling for cash at the end. It wasn’t as relaxing as it should have been.

One year a boyfriend urinated all over my computer the night of my birthday. I suppose the saving grace was he didn’t wet the bed, and my computer was fine.

One year a boy broke up with me a week before my birthday, but my present was already in the mail, and it was a really thoughtful present. That was nice….ish.

One year a friend of mine got another friend of mine to give me a strip show and he took it really seriously and then we all went out and played trivia and drank beer. That was nice.

One year a group of my friends had a spontaneous underwear party in a hotel room and beat each other with a leather belt. Hmm… yep, true story.

One year a friend of mine threw a keg party for me and made me party, even though I didn’t feel like it. And it was awesome.

One year my friends and I all bought take-out curry and talked all night. There love mended my broken heart.

One year all I wanted to do was go tobogganing for my birthday and it snowed the night before. So all my friends and I could go to snake hill and ride.

One year my dad and I went skiing. That was the best.

One year I was in Australia for my birthday and a cougar made me a cake and we celebrated and had an awesome time, and then I got on a plane and made my way to Canada and it was my birthday all over again because of the time change.

One year Dad and I had an 80’s party. I went as Siouxsie Sioux; we drank beer and played rockband. It was epic!

This year I got taco's at on the rocks, beers at Hudson's aaand at Rosario's, I got a basketball game with my dad, dinner at my parents, dinner out with my parents, and drinks and great company at 4th and Vine.... not too shabby.

So, what I’m getting at is, yep, my birthdays are inconsistent and I can’t ever figure them out and you know what? It doesn’t really matter. Some are good. Some are bad. Sometimes I’m single, sometimes I’m not, but being one or the other has absolutely no bearing on it turning out.

There are some consistencies, and they are the best. Some great friends, my family, sharing a b-day with my pop, beer and lots of love. and cake. There’s always cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment